Welcome to my side of the fence. . .

Welcome to my side of the fence. . . Here you will
enjoy some good laughs, maybe some frustrations,
and hopefully (if I'm a good enough writer), a few tears.

Thursday, April 4, 2013

The boys and milking.

I have been forced to separate Hercules and Orion from the girls because {ahem} the boys are now "men" and I don't want them impregnating their own sisters. That would be no bueno. We had to put our redneck fence up again to do this and the boys are staying in the old chicken coop. Poor guys. I felt so bad for them this morning that I fed them a little grain. They miss their sisters. The other goats aren't taking it too well, either. They try to get to the boys whenever I open the gate and they cry for them. I think the hardest part has been for Frankie and the boys. She was dam raising them and I cut them off cold turkey. It wouldn't be so bad, let's say, if the boys went to another home and they didn't have to see their mom anymore. But in our case, they see her and can't nurse. Frankie cries for them the most. 
Because of the separation, I'm able to milk Frankie because now she's only dam raising Capella. But Frankie is killing me! I do all this work (separating the babies because they like to get all up in the kool-aid, then getting Frankie on the stand, feed her grain, wash her down, milk her, wash her down again. . . ) for a measly cup of milk (each milking). I can't even drink the stuff! I am milking her until she's dry with the hope of her stepping up production. It may be working because this morning I got a half cup more. Whoo-hoo. 

Scott and I are a little frustrated because we have only sold Hercules and Gemma. We HAVE to sell Orion before Hercules gets picked up. Orion can't be on one side of the fence by himself. It would instigate what's called buck mad. (Or something like that.) A goat always has to have a buddy or they get depressed or get angry. I have been praying and praying that they will sell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment