Welcome to my side of the fence. . .

Welcome to my side of the fence. . . Here you will
enjoy some good laughs, maybe some frustrations,
and hopefully (if I'm a good enough writer), a few tears.

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Aww, it's struck again!

Poor Arabella is having another bout of coccidiosis. So we are going another round of Sulmet 12.5% and goat drench. I guess, from what Melissa was explaining, until she outgrows it, this could be her typical way. And until she builds her immunity, she will just face coccis every now and again.

I was writing Melissa some "goat talk" and I thought I'd share with you what I told her:

Yeah, she's still acting normal, thank goodness. I haven't changed their diet, except that they are taking to the alfalfa a little more. I can hear them grinding their back teeth now when they eat the alfalfa, which I read that it's a good sign and they are right on development. I show them the grain, but they are not eating it, nor am I expecting them to. They are at two bottles a day. Star (Jingle's daughter) is a beast and finishes off what Arabella doesn't finish, so I'd say that Star actually eats 42-44 oz a day, whereas Arabella (Dreamer's daughter) eats 36-38 oz total a day. Star has definitely grown--significantly--and Arabella has grown, but not like Star. I have a gut feeling that when they freshen, Star is gonna be a breeze and Arabella will be my experience developer, lol!

I absolutely love the girls. . . I call Star my gentle giant because she is so big and such a cuddlebug, but she's more careful about pushing her way around--she doesn't. Arabella has definitely come out of her shell; she likes to be pet a different way than Star and she loves to be talked to. She's more aggressive when feeding and more aggressive when climbing. She thinks she can push Star around, but because of Star's laid-back personality, I think Star's just letting Arabella have her way. It's hilarious because Arabella will come up on Star and try to butt Star, but Star being so much bigger, just stands there undisturbed and unperturbed, lol! But Star will return fire and Arabella gets shoved clear across the yard! They are so much fun.

I can't wait til June 16th! My first goat expo! I hope to see you there! What can I expect at a goat expo? I am imagining a bunch of booths that are trying to sell their products?

No comments:

Post a Comment