Welcome to my side of the fence. . .

Welcome to my side of the fence. . . Here you will
enjoy some good laughs, maybe some frustrations,
and hopefully (if I'm a good enough writer), a few tears.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Surgery date.

So, I went to the surgical doc yesterday afternoon (thank you Michelle and Emma for going with! You're super-fantastic!) for my bariatric surgery options and surgery date. I talked with Dr. Haque, (who, incidentally, is very cute and has very nice bedside manners) about the options and what I wanted to do. I have the option of going with the Roux-En-Y (I might be spelling that correctly) or the Sleeve. He suggested the sleeve because the roux-en-y redirects some of your digestive tract and with my bipolar meds, they won't absorb as efficiently and thus, they wouldn't work as efficiently. Which is a big deal. The sleeve only cuts your stomach into the size of a banana (the average stomach is the size of two liters) and does not redirect any of your guts. So the normal digestive stuff happens. I was originally leaning towards the roux-en-y because it has a smidgeon higher of a success rate. But the doc said that's only 5-8% higher. So, sleeve it is.

The surgery consists of five incisions, kinda dotted along the tummy like a pentagon shape. He will go in and recut my gallbladder incision and then smaller cuts for the other four. They will stick a tube down my throat. . . I asked about that specifically, lol. I just wanna know, lol. I find out more details about the surgery time, recovery time, hopsital stay, etc. when I go to my pre-op appointment.

My surgery date is set for March 8th. I was a wee bit disappointed with how far out it is. But I know God has a hand in this, so I am going to go with the flow and know that God orchestrates His purpose and timing for a reason. I think, actually, that it is good timing because the kids (baby goats) are due end of January/beginning of February and that gives me over a month to adjust to the new arrivals. Also, I think I was disappointed because things lately have been so fast-paced and constant that I thought the surgery would be a part of that hub-bub of things to do. I believe that the date given will allow me time to get ready for it, knock off some to-do's, and be during a quieter season of our lives. (Yeah, right, lol!) Actually, Dominic starts soccer then, Scott is coaching, and Nina will have dance AND practice for Copelia (by the way, Nina auditioned for Copelia at her dance school and we find out Wednesday what part she got). I don't think we ever really slow down in this season of our lives and on a philosophical note: we just gotta enjoy the moments!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a big decision. I have had a number of friends/extended family who have had the same procedure with.wonderful results. I will be praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete