Welcome to my side of the fence. . .

Welcome to my side of the fence. . . Here you will
enjoy some good laughs, maybe some frustrations,
and hopefully (if I'm a good enough writer), a few tears.

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Plums, plums, and plums!















So we have a friend who offered us pickings from their Italian plum tree! Uh, duh, I said yeah! I've never canned plums before, so I did three different things: I canned plum jam, using apples as a natural pectin; I also canned hot pack, and I canned cold pack. I have never cold packed canning before. The way "they" brainwash you nowadays, cold packing is a no-no because it doesn't kill germs like hot packing does. But when I hot packed the first batch. . . they kinda turned to mush. They are still edible and delicious, but not pretty. So I cold packed the second batch and they look much better. I think it's cause these plums were extremely ready to pick/can/eat. I got nine quarts. It was definitely a learning experience.

The jam gave me twelve pints, plus half a quart for the fridge, right away (I didn't seal it). And it tasted good.

On Monday, I am taking a huge risk because we are buying two boxes (24 pounds each box) of peaches and two boxes of pears for canning. The risk is, I can't can them until we get back from camping--Friday. I was opting for one of two choices. Either find a cool spot somewhere in the garage to store them, or refrigerate them. I am opting to refrigerate because while we are gone, it's supposed to be mid-eighties for the weather. I don't think any place in the garage will be as cool as the fridge. But this was a deal I just couldn't pass up--only $14 a box!

No comments:

Post a Comment