Welcome to my side of the fence. . .

Welcome to my side of the fence. . . Here you will
enjoy some good laughs, maybe some frustrations,
and hopefully (if I'm a good enough writer), a few tears.

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Goats and things.

So, it's been awhile! I have been up to my ears in busy! Dominic's soccer, Nina's dance, getting the raised garden in, picking up a running regime, taking care of goats. . . plus, just daily living and its challenges. . . whew!

Dominic ended soccer with a concussion and was not allowed to finish the season as goalie. He had a pretty good concussion and required three days of bed rest--no t.v., no video games, no reading, no thinking. I think it was more brain rest than bed rest! He spent A LOT of time outside with the chickens, just hanging out.

Nina had a production in May for Coppelia and then a month later her Spring Showcase. She did really good! She has found this year that she likes ballet more than jazz now. It was originally the other way around for years. I think she is super excited because she's been "promoted" to Ballet 3B next year and will probably get her point shoes in February. Getting point shoes is a big deal (and super expensive). It's like a right of passage. It marks her "grown-up-ness" in ballet.

Scott has been consumed by work. The tempo has been bumped up in what the Special Ops do and so that means the training is increased. These people jump out of airplanes every week now (used to be every other month)! Scott's responsibilities have also been bumped up and he has a lot on his shoulders. That's not saying he doesn't like it--he loves his job! I feel bad for Scott because he does so much at work then he comes home and I put him to work. He is so amazing. He doesn't even complain. I am excited for him though; this week he starts softball for the church, Mountain View, and on Thursday's and Friday's he'll be playing coed and the men's team. He coaches the men's, so that's one more thing on his plate. I like softball season. I try to put together picnics so that before or after the game we chillax and have more of a good time.

As for me, I'm boring. I do the mom thing and the wife thing. I am always behind on housework, always trying to craft something or plan something, and always driving a kid around. In fact, yesterday, I was driving Nina and her friends around so we could piece together some poodle skirts for her school Spirit Day. I have to say it was pretty fun watching the girls try on wedding and prom dresses at the thrift store. They were all giggly and cute. I tried to keep my distance so that I wasn't impeding on their good times, but I did get a couple looks at what they wore and the girls looked so beautiful! I wish a could have been a fly on the wall taking pictures!

Something worth acknowledging: I have lost 65 pounds! And I have started running. I don't like the initial start of running, like it's hard to get going, but I am always glad I did it when I'm done. I can run a mile and a half now, non stop. I think I could do more, but I don't want to injure myself, or do too much too soon. My current run consists of running a mile and a quarter, walking one hundred yards, and then another mile and a quarter. I've swapped my workouts to mornings and I hate running in the mornings because I'm slower and it seems to be harder to do. But at least I get it out of the way for the day. Besides when I do my fun run in August, it'll be a morning thing, so better to get used to it now so I am prepared for the run. Did I even tell you about my fun run? I am doing the Color Me Rad in Seattle on August 10th. Basically, it's a 5k and they have stations that you run by. As you run by these stations, people "bomb" (fire extinguishers are used) you with colored cornstarch so that when your run is over, you're a rainbow gone awry. Think tie-died human. I chose this race to celebrate me and how far I have come to achieve my second chance at good health. My goal is to just finish. I'm really nervous about the run because 1) I hate starting lines (even back during my cross country days I hated the starting line) and 2) I have self-doubt that I am good enough to even be running this fun run. Scott and hopefully Ayla will be running with me, so that'll help!

As for goats, they are doing really well! I have a breeding schedule set up for this fall and I plan on breeding in October then November then December. I don't want them all freshening at the same time, so I am going to stack the breedings.

Frankie, my girl in milk, is giving me some heartburn because her milk production has dropped significantly. She only gives about 3 1/2 cups a day and that is so frustrating. I was getting a quart a day. I feel like I go to all of this work just for a few drops? I was gonna dry her up because I don't think what I get is worth the udder wipes, teat spray, and grain, BUT Scott asked me to keep going because he loves her milk so much. And honestly, that's the least I can do for him. I could milk her three times a day and up her production, but honestly, I don't want that commitment. That would really tie me down and I'd have to plan everything around milking times. No way.




 Just for the record, the chicken on Alice's back IS scratching on Alice and I dunno what she was getting, but she was going to town. And Alice was just taking it.
Star loves a good scratch and rubs up against anything that'll help the cause. Here, she is using the milk stand while the rooster enjoys the ride, lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment