Welcome to my side of the fence. . .

Welcome to my side of the fence. . . Here you will
enjoy some good laughs, maybe some frustrations,
and hopefully (if I'm a good enough writer), a few tears.

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Homemade Washing Detergent.

So I have been making our own detergent for laundry. I have an HE washer, so I needed liquid detergent. This is the recipe I found on the internet:

Grate one bar of Ivory soap in a clean five gallon bucket. I bought my bucket from Home Depot, with lid, for under three bucks. Get the lid, you'll need it, lol.
Add 1/2 cup Borax, 1/2 cup Washing Baking Soda. This is different from regular baking soda and is in the detergent aisle at the grocery store.
Boil water. . .for me, I have to do it over and over again in my six quart pot because you need to fill your bucket about 2/3 way with boiling water. Give it a good stir. Put the lid on and let it sit for at least overnight. . .24 hours ideally. I have done both and they turned out the same consistency. Stir it again before you use it.
Wa-La! You have made detergent for your washer! It's nothing super-fancy, but it cleans the clothes and cost about 70 cents a bucket to make. If you wanted to get a perfume-y smell, then add oils in scents like lavender, rose, or whatever. . . I just read the other day that adding two teaspoons of tea tree oil disinfects your laundry, with the added benefit of killing fleas, lice, mites, etc. I will be doing that because that just sounds clean!

No comments:

Post a Comment